Monday, May 17, 2010

Yummy yummy yummy I got rice in my tummy


My motivation for cooking has diminished. I think it's because my sister in law is at home with me all day, and the part of cooking I liked was the surprise when we ate dinner. But when she is here, she can smell and see everything at the early stages. I dunno, I have some weird complex. I'm also exhausted from eating food from my cousin's trip last weekend. We had so much food and so many leftovers that I hardly had to cook last week. Then we had my sister in law's bridal shower, and the aunties sent home a bunch of food from that as well. So after eating all that, we were left with actually having to make a meal today.

I've been wanting to make fried rice (indian kind) for a long time now. My husband likes traditional kerala style food and isn't really into the north indian stuff, but i love how curried north indian is (compared to dry kerala food). He's on a business trip though, so its the perfect time to eat stuff that he doesn't like, hence, fried rice, egg curry, and yogurt salad. YUM!

I always thought fried rice was something that is hard to make since it is usually only made on special occasions (in a malu home). I know whenever my mom made it, she makes huge quantities to feed an army or take to a potluck.

For fried rice (this makes about 6-8 portions) take 2 cups basmati rice and soak it in water (after washing it) for 20 mins. While that is soaking, slice half a medium onion and one large green chili. Heat up about 3 tbsp oil, once it is hot, add fennel, cloves (4-5), and one bay leaf, let it toast in the oil. Then saute the onion and then the chili. once the onion has some color on it, add 1 tsp of coriander pwd, 1/2 tsp chilli pwd, and a pinch of turmeric. let that fry in the oil. Drain the rice from the soaking water and put the rice into the pan. Fry the rice with 2 tbsp of butter/ghee (i used butter). once the rice is kind of translucent from frying, add 4 cups water and salt until you can just taste the salt in the water. cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce to low and let it sit for 20 mins. I stirred my rice in between because i was scared of burning it. During the last 5 mins, i put in about a cup of frozen mixed vegetables.

It was so good!!

No comments: