Wednesday, September 17, 2008
MY BATTLE WITH SALAD
I'm long overdue for a new recipe. I haven't been cooking very much, so you haven't been missing out. I've just been so busy with school lately. Last week was awful, I ate all junk food. I didn't have time to prepare foods, so ended up eating out a lot. Isn't this the problem with all of America?
Anyhow, this Sunday I went to the grocery store and like every health conscious person bought chicken and a bag of salad. Firstly, I still am on the fence about if rich people are more likely than poor people to get fat. For example, I went to the store wanting to buy chicken breast-lean, white meat, very good for the body. BUT it was freakin' $3.99 a lb! I couldn't afford that, so i went with the bone in stuff and I had to cut it at home, and we are using the bones for Indian food. I don't know what american people would do with it--Chicken soup? anyhow, chicken and salad is boring.
i hate it.
but i loveee chicken and salad at restaurants. WHY???
my biggest craving is Chipotle salads, luckily they cost a fortune also, so I stay away from it.
So today I tried a new type of salad with my bag of romaine and baked chicken.
1. Bake chicken with whatever spices you have. I tried this the other day, and my recipe did not work well, so I will not post it. It was pretty much disguisting.
2. using olive oil, saute some red onion.
3. once onions are starting to get brown, throw in some mixed frozen veggies ( i am having such a hard time eating veggies lately, but I ate the whole bag of veggies in 3 days; the more healthy i am trying to eat... the more indian food i'm eating. its healthy, very flavorful, and its always there since my mom cooks it constantly.)
4. cut up chicken breast and saute with veggies
5. spread on top of salad
6. Salad Dressing, i've been craving Honey Mustard but didn't have any at home. I made a bottom of the jar recipe though! I had some Dabur Honey wayyy at the bottom of the jar. First, I heated the honey in the jar, take the lid off-its metal!! I put about 2 tablespoons rice vinegar and two squirts of spicy deli mustard. SKAKE SKAKE SHAKE. YUMMY.
It turned out really good, very asiany with the dressing.
I still want to try to make a tex mex salad, since that is my absolute favorite. the thing about restaurant salads is the different levels it has. crunch, spice, sweet, soft, hard, etc. i didn't have that many ingredients. but this is one step closer to a good home salad.